There will be a upcoming World Scout Badge Test for all Secondary 1s-4s on the 2nd of March, Wednesday during CCA meeting. Below are the notes that you can study from for the test.
The Scouting History:
1) Founder of Scout Movement: Robert Stevenson Smyth Baden-Powell
2) Founder's Birth Place: 6 Stanhope Street (now 11 Stanhope Terrace), Paddington, London
3) Date of Birth: 22nd February 1857
4) Scouts Motto: Be prepared
5) Scouting in Singapore started: 1910
6) Founder of Singapore Scouts: Frank Cooper Sands
7) First Scout Troop called: First Sand Troop
8) First Singapore Headquarters: YMCA Katong
9) First Job Week: 1952
10) Current Chief Commissioner: Tan Cheng Kiong ( Started in 2009)
11) Current Chief Scout: Mr Tony Tan (President)
12) Baden Powell's Wife: Olave Soames
13) Year Married: 1912
14) Three Children: Peter, Heather, Betty
15) His first lesson: Taught by Mother
16) His First School: Rose Hill School
17) Experiential Camp held: Brownsea Island
18) BP Wrote a Book: Scouting for Boys
19) BP died on the 8th of January, 1941.
20) BP was buried at Africa, Kenya
On my honour, I promise to do my best,
to do my duty to God,
and to the Republic of Singapore,
to help other people, and to keep the Scout Law.
1) A Scout is to be trusted.
2) A Scout is Loyal.
3) A Scout makes friends, establishes and maintains harmonious relations.
4) A Scout is disciplined and considerate.
5) A Scout has courage in all difficulties.
1) To do your duty to God and to the Republic of Singapore.
2) To help other people.
3) To keep the Scout Law.
The thumb over the last finger symbolizes the strong helping the weak. The circle formed by the thumb and last finger represent international brotherhood of scouting.
The World Scout Emblem:
The Left Hand Shake:
There is a story that when Baden Powell entered Kumasi, the capital city of the Ashanti he was met by one of the Great Chiefs of the Ashanti, he saluted them and then offered his right hand out as a sign of friendship, but the Chief transferred his shield which he held in his left hand to his right which contained his spear and offered his left hand as a sign of friendship. When asked why Baden Powell was told that by offering his left hand which traditionally was used to hold a shield for protection he was showing his trust to his enemy or friend for with out the shield for protection he was open to attack.
Please do study hard for the test, it is a refresher for everyone. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me or your PLs a message.
Yours in Scouting,
Tan Mei Lian
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Oneida Scout Unit